About Me

My photo
Midwest, United States
I am a first-born female over age 60. I am middle class, and have a graduate degree in Business. I have over 28 continuous years in recovery from alcoholism. I have been in Borderline treatment for over 14 years. I still have not reached full-time Serenity, but I have continued to survive this disorder using distress tolerance skills, interpersonal effectiveness, mindfulness, and emotion regulation. These are the 4 components of the DBT Skills as devised by Dr. Marsha Linehan. Email me with any questions at amy@alawebpages.com. Many thanks and blessings for sharing my interest and broadening your awareness of this disorder.

featured on Blog Flux

Blog Directory by Blog Flux

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Borderline Reaction...of Course

I had a PULS Cardiac Test.  It is a very new test that measures the risk of a cardiac event. It measures proteins, other markers, lifestyle, and considers weight, glucose/insulin readings, smoking drinking etc.  I have a "heart-age" of someone in their 80's!  I was devastated.  My doctor was frustrated because there was nothing that I needed to discontinue in my life, or anything that I wasn't doing that I should be doing.  Good Diet, continual exercise, no smoking/drugs/alcohol...all the right things...except managing my stress.  It's a killer.  It's killing me.

During the next eight days after finding out this news (which was the Tuesday after Thanksgiving), I had a week from hell.  My emotions were off the Richter scale.  I could not reel myself in.  I wanted to drink and to cut myself, but being 28+ years sober, and 14 years+ in Borderline recovery put the damper on those outlets.  Have you ever wanted to self-destruct because you were in so much pain, but the pain of following the impulses was just a tiny bit more uncomfortable than than the pain of enduring what was doing on?  This was one of those times.  The discomfort of indecision added to my erratic behavior.  Now, I cannot comfort myself with sweets, since I have struggled to pull myself out of being diabetic to pre-diabetic to being in the normal range for sugar/insulin/glucose.  I've worked too hard to get here.  Picture main-lining Skittles.  That is how I could saturate my body with sweets and get a temporary fix.

Then I started taking yoga 3x per week.  Doing so has helped my mood, cravings and angst.  I also take a Y-C Cleanse for the sugar cravings. (Too much yeast/candida in my body).  So maybe this test's results were a wake-up call.  I don't know.  I DO KNOW that I have changed some more things in my life to get through this rough patch.  I plan to put these changes into "forever" behaviors.  I am trying to rid my body of the toxins that are diminishing my health. 
I am overdosing on Hallmark Christmas movies to help with my gratitude for my life as it improves.  It's a lot of hard work.  I will not let this disorder beat me.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!

No comments:

Post a Comment