About Me

My photo
Midwest, United States
I am a first-born female over age 60. I am middle class, and have a graduate degree in Business. I have over 28 continuous years in recovery from alcoholism. I have been in Borderline treatment for over 14 years. I still have not reached full-time Serenity, but I have continued to survive this disorder using distress tolerance skills, interpersonal effectiveness, mindfulness, and emotion regulation. These are the 4 components of the DBT Skills as devised by Dr. Marsha Linehan. Email me with any questions at amy@alawebpages.com. Many thanks and blessings for sharing my interest and broadening your awareness of this disorder.

featured on Blog Flux

Blog Directory by Blog Flux

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Another Year Other Tears Still Using DBT Skills


It is the Fourth of July, and have the fireworks in my life been set off with frequency.  Thank God, I have not been lighting the fuses!  From the prior 19 months, I have finally beat my body up with stress and overwork on legal and personal matters.....I have worked myself in Adrenal Fatigue.  But, a new doctor in my life has put me on a diet that I have faithfully followed.  I have lost 23 pounds to date;  but not without a struggle.  No sugar, no foods with flour.


I have struggled so as all of my "comfort foods" have been removed from my life.  It reminds me of when I quit drinking on 8-21-1989.  The withdrawal has been so severe, that I was put on a yeast cleanse.  That seems to have helped.  But the psychological end of this......!   Sucks.

It has been suggested to me that I serve on a Consumer Advisory Panel of the mental health provider who has taken care of me and my Borderline for the last 9 years.  They want to promote my book AND print my story in the August newsletter.  These are feel-good pats on the head, but the kudos do not deter my efforts in spreading the word about Borderline Personality Disorder and the dangers that exist if untreated.

If you are a therapist, so you shy away from including Borderlines on your caseload?  Yes, it is draining, and unrewarding.  Aren't you in a "helping profession?"   People like me need people like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment