About Me

My photo
Midwest, United States
I am a first-born female over age 60. I am middle class, and have a graduate degree in Business. I have over 28 continuous years in recovery from alcoholism. I have been in Borderline treatment for over 14 years. I still have not reached full-time Serenity, but I have continued to survive this disorder using distress tolerance skills, interpersonal effectiveness, mindfulness, and emotion regulation. These are the 4 components of the DBT Skills as devised by Dr. Marsha Linehan. Email me with any questions at amy@alawebpages.com. Many thanks and blessings for sharing my interest and broadening your awareness of this disorder.

featured on Blog Flux

Blog Directory by Blog Flux

Friday, July 6, 2018

When Did the Simplicity of the Andy Griffith Show Vanish?


I will go to any lengths to recreate a world of calm and assured relaxation for myself.  I stumbled on the idea of renting the series "The Andy Griffith Show", which was a favorite of mine from 1960 to 1968.  I started with the first season.  No matter how stressed or chaotic may day was....I could relax with an episode  (or 2) of Andy, Opie, Aunt Bea and Barnie. No loud-mouthed political chest-beaters on this show!  Lessons about Life and how to deal with its ups and downs were the main focus of the show.  It was an easy time....back then in general for a lot of people.  


During the time that "Andy Griffith" aired, I was 6-14 years old and dealing with a tumultuous home life, rampant with alcoholism and out of control emotions.  However, half an hour spent in viewing this TV show both then and now, have a very calming effect on my mental state and overall outlook.

A dose of "Andy" is like a shot in the arm of the "feel-good" endorphins such as seratonin, dopamine and norepinephrine (spelling?).  We all could use more of this and less of "Criminal Minds" and other short-effect (yet well-written) shows that populate our TV screens.

Several years ago, I actually rented and watched all the episodes of "The Waltons" (the 1970's) and "The Donna Reed Show" (the 1960's).  Very soothing with a lot of nostalgic portrayals of life when it was 'a bit simpler'.

Take me back to then.



No comments:

Post a Comment