About Me

My photo
Midwest, United States
I am a first-born female over age 60. I am middle class, and have a graduate degree in Business. I have over 28 continuous years in recovery from alcoholism. I have been in Borderline treatment for over 14 years. I still have not reached full-time Serenity, but I have continued to survive this disorder using distress tolerance skills, interpersonal effectiveness, mindfulness, and emotion regulation. These are the 4 components of the DBT Skills as devised by Dr. Marsha Linehan. Email me with any questions at amy@alawebpages.com. Many thanks and blessings for sharing my interest and broadening your awareness of this disorder.

featured on Blog Flux

Blog Directory by Blog Flux

Monday, May 18, 2020

What's Going On? Shaking Up the World

I am finally able to post to this blog after a raging pandemic called Covid-19 or Coronavirus has been notably in circulation and finally made public in March 2020.  Where I am in the Midwest, we have been on a semi-lockdown since March 20th.  The virus is highly contagious, and by having society stay in their homes, the spread of the virus should have been greatly reduced.  It wasn't.  You can't control a society's comings and goings.  People will do what they will do. 

At the time of my writing of this entry, there have been 90,000 deaths in the United States and 314,000 deaths worldwide.  What a fix we are in.  The President of the U.S. has caused anxiety in millions. There is not a vaccine in sight.  The only ones who can change the direction of this pandemic are us as individuals.  The health professionals are extremely worried about not being able to contain the virus.  Some of those in power in the U.S. are worried about the economy, and are loosening the restrictions that society has been under for about 8 weeks.  People keep dying.  Unemployment is at 25%.  Food Banks are straining under the needs of unemployed families.  There have been a couple of economic stimulus packages that have been enacted to lessen the financial burden to many, but that is not enough.  Seniors in high school and college did not get a graduation this year.  People are hoarding groceries and toilet paper.  People are getting clinically depressed.  Addiction to substances is on the rise.

In early May, the task of re-opening the locked-down economy started with a lot of trepidation.  The federal governments send mixed signals.  Decisions were having to be made by each state's governor, yet Mayors often overrode the governor's decisions.  Who do we trust? Who do we listen to?  Emotional security is at an all-time low.  I am afraid of the invisible and unknown.  My life does not resemble itself any longer. I pray to a God whom I am not sure can hear me.     

No comments:

Post a Comment